5/8/11

DC Seasonal Recommendation (tragically after the fact)



On a run up Mass Ave, just as I was passing National Cathedral, I chanced upon the All Hallows Guild annual Flower Mart hosted there. It was a sunny day and looked intriguing so I stopped by (read I was winded by the deceptive Embassy Row uphill and saw a sign for Brat Wurst).


I'm no gardening expert (my Mom's green thumb missed me and plants tend to wither on my watch) but I was pretty impressed with the organic sod, geraniums, musical numbers, artisanal bird feeders, cute little old men in aprons, etc. all around me.




Unfortunately the festival ended today but I recommended checking it out next year - especially if you've never visited the National Cathedral and its Bishop's Garden and Olmsted Wood (and lean towards similar senior citizen-esque tendencies).

Generally the residential area around there is lovely for running/strolling/walking Watson and it's quite close to some other nice DC spots (woodley park area, national zoo, dupont circle, rock creek park, Belgian Embassy!!!!, etc.). Although, if you have my sense of direction, maybe cnosult a map on your way back (I got very lost and fenced in on Saint Alban's ginormous, uber preppy, fortified campus and I think creeped some young boys out. Oops.).

Oh and the Cathedral does a lot of concerts. We saw Handel's Messiah there around Christmas and it was great (ok and sort of exhausting).

No comments:

Post a Comment