3/19/11

Musing #1 by Gen

Hi. I’m Gen. I have been blogging for the past five years, from the time I graduated from college. I was one of the original founders of the ill-fated I Am Not a Witness NBA blog, back when my buddy John and I had this crazy idea that, since there were no good NBA blogs on the market at the time, we’d write our own. We dabbled in that for a while, posted some great guest columns, responded to obscene comments, posed as anonymous commenters to generate interest, banned users, and now John has gone on to bigger and better things with his new NBA blog, www.iamagm.com. Check it out if you’re a NBA fan. There’s a lot of good stuff there, and John is tireless with getting all the NBA news and gossip online before anyone knows about it. He’s really a genius when it comes to this stuff.

Normally I wouldn’t want to introduce myself, but Blog Built for Two is going to take some getting used to, so I think that all the formal conventions of initiating communication should apply. I do not mean that in a negative sense, it’s just that: (1) my prior internet life has been dominated by blogging about man-stuff, like sports and bbq, and the content of this blog will be more inclusive and, well, well-rounded (or at least that is the intention); and (2) I’m still in a state of shock because for the past two years I’ve received nothing but criticism and dirty looks from Nadia every time she found out about my blogging history, or my twitter account, or anything web-related to which I can claim a footprint. So you can imagine my surprise when on a whim I suggested that we start a couples blog and received nothing but enthusiasm in response. That being said, I’m excited.

In our inaugural post, Nadia so eloquently stated that we do not really know what the expect with this. That’s the fun part and what I’m most looking forward to. I see this as a forum for us to be closer in mind and spirit in a long-distance relationship, and to share the best of our experiences and insights with friends (in the broadest, internettty sense). But I also see this as a manifestation of the awesomeness of technology; blogging as a couple is really revolutionary when it comes to long-distance couples collaboration and communication. To put it in perspective, let’s compare this to President John Adams and Abigail Adams, who spent most of his presidency writing letters back and forth to each other from Washington, DC to Boston in the 18th century. John practiced politics, Abigail raised children, and their communications occurred, oh, I don’t know…maybe twice per month? Sounds miserable, right? So yes, it goes without saying…the internet is amazing when it comes to this stuff. So freaking cool.

Bug I digress. I don’t want to leave you with my musings only, so I figure I should talk about something substantial. And that something is…the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. So much for branching out. Like I said, this will take some getting used to, so I figure I should ease in to this with what I know. Full disclosure: I am a HUGE Kansas Jayhawks fan. Nadia is a HUGE Michigan State Spartans fan. Luckily, these two teams have never played while we have been dating, because something terrible would likely happen. Sadly (or awesomely?), many of our biggest fights have centered on defending our team and tossing out unwarranted, overly emotional polemical accusations against the fans/coaches/players/reputation/image/symbolism/existence of the other program. This usually results in the other person being offended and demanding an apology, followed by more arguing, and then finally, an apology. Really mature process, I know. Yet Nadia has been at her most supportive when Kansas lost to Northern Iowa in the tournament last year. If you’re knowledgeable about college basketball, Kansas is one of the most successful programs of all time, but they’ve had their share of disappointing NCAA Tournament flame-outs: Northern Iowa in 2010, Bradley in 2006, Bucknell in 2005, Rhode Island in 1998, Arizona in 1997 (best team to never win the championship), Syracuse in 1995. Somehow, despite rooting for a team that perennially disappoints in the postseason, I’ve kept my hope and faith. And now, I’m prepared to double down. Kansas University will win the National Championship this year. Because just as Kansas looked poised for a disappointment again this year as they came out tight against Boston University, so too do the Jayhawks look poised to right the ship and return to playing at an elite level in the second round for their coach, Bill Self, as he takes on his old team, the University of Illinois. After that, a 12 seed Cinderella in Richmond University awaits in the Sweet 16, and that will likely be where Richmond’s luck ends. Anything from there is gravy, and I am confident that, barring an injury, Kansas is bigger, deeper, and more athletic than any of the other contenders (except for Duke with a healthy Kyrie Irving, which scares me). While I have no illusions that the Jayhawks could easily disappoint me again – though I certainly would have no complaints with seven straight league titles and a National Championship in 2008 – I think the tide has turned and the stars have aligned for this year’s Jayhawks team. And I want to be there to document it online.

So I present to you my first post, rambling but sincere. I can’t promise you a consistent measure of quality, but I can all but guarantee you prodigious amounts of quantity. I promise you my next post will be better, although it’s always possible that my job search goes to shit and I don’t have time to blog. But I’m betting on the former. Either way, I hope you enjoy this blog. If you do, please spread the word to your friends and family. If you don’t, please have the courtesy to keep your feelings to yourself, idiots. Just kidding.

There is a quote attributed to many authors (particularly Mark Twain), but likely first uttered by Blaise Pascal, that goes, “I did not have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” If you’re looking for tight, refined, 700-word columns, you’ll have to look elsewhere, like your local newspaper. If, on the other hand, you’re looking for long, meandering posts that frequently go off on wild tangents and occasionally never return to their original point, you’ve come to the right place. If you’re looking for someone willing to write a five-page essay on the most trivial things, with neither a copy editor nor someone to remind them to count to ten before writing something when they’re angry, sad, or irrationally exuberant, you’ve come to the right place. But then you probably already knew that. After all, this is a blog. I may even write about religion or politics from time to time, particularly if I feel my readership base has grown too large and I want to alienate half of you in one fell swoop.
I welcome your comments with each posting. I may not be able to respond to all of them, but rest assured I try to read every one. All I ask is that you keep it clean. There may be children reading this, and if they're you’re children, then you need to either create a better filter on your internet browser or accept that children these days are exposed to enough objectionable material already. I leave you with the most awesome picture of Nadia of all time, taken in Philadelphia at the Kansas-Temple basketball game. Great photography work, leaving me out and showing Nadia in all her beautiful Jayhawks glory.

Thanks and until next time,

Gen

No comments:

Post a Comment